Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Students' Use of Technology at AWC: My Observation

I did two observations.  One during lunch and one during class.


My first observation was during lunch.  I observed a group of eight students that were studying.  I decided to observe a group of students studying because I wanted to see if they will still use their phones while studying.  I was completely right.  Within ten minutes six of the eight students took out their phone to look at it while they were studying.  Not only did they just take out their phone they kept them out the whole time to keep looking at them.  I noticed that the students who constantly looked at their phones were also the ones that looked the most off-tasked compared to the two students who had not take out their phone.  The students who kept looking at their phone also kept asking the other two students for help.  The students who were doing their work were getting annoyed of their friends who kept looking at their phones.

My second observation was during my Biology class.  I observed this class because we had a lecture so I knew there would be a lot of students looking at their phone.  Almost all of the students had their phone out in front of them even though they weren't looking at it at the time.  I noticed that some people would look at their phone while the professor was talking but some would only look at their phone when the professor would stop talking.  I was surprised by how much people are using technology which only made me think about myself and how much I use technology.

A group of students using their phones while studying.  



No comments:

Post a Comment